Daily World News Digest 30 January 2015

Human Rights Watch: World Report 2015

Human Rights Watch published its 25th Annual Report on 29 January covering more than 90 countries. The 644-page report identified a systemic global threat to human rights cause by a tendency of governments to downgrade human rights protection when faced with serious security challenges. “Human rights violations played a major role in spawning or aggravating many of today’s crises,” HRW Executive Director Kenneth Roth said. “Protecting human rights and ensuring democratic accountability are key to resolving them.” http://bit.ly/1CCBEQl

Serbian Army Chief Accused Over Kosovo Killings 

Balkan Insight reported on 29 January that the Humanitarian Law Centre NGO in Belgrade has alleged in a new report published on Thursday that current Serbian Army chief Ljubisa Dikovic was the commander of the 37th Brigade of the Yugoslav Army responsible for attacks on four villages in the Drenica area between 5 April and 27 May 1999, when at least 69 Kosovo Albanians died. The Serbian defense ministry has strongly denied the allegations. However, the Humanitarian Law Centre says that convincing evidence had been assembled that shows the 37th Brigade was involved. http://bit.ly/15ObDBc

Srebrenica massacre verdicts upheld at war crimes tribunal

The BBC reported on 30 January that the convictions of five men for their role in the Srebrenica massacre have been upheld. Sentences for four of the men, high-ranking officials in the Bosnian Serb Army in 1995, were also confirmed. The men had appealed against their convictions in 2010 for a range of crimes including genocide. Two of them – Vujadin Popovic and Ljubisa Beara – are among a small number of individuals who have been found guilty of genocide. They were sentenced to life for deliberately targeting and destroying groups of people based on their ethnicity. http://bbc.in/1De8nd7

Ferry Carrying Migrants to Malaysia Sinks Off Bangladesh Coast; Dozens Missing

The International Business Times reported on 29 January that dozens of people are missing after a fishing boat, allegedly carrying illegal immigrants from Bangladesh to Malaysia, sank in the Bay of Bengal. Local media reported that people traffickers were aboard the vessel and have been taken into custody. http://bit.ly/163fE5v

Malaysian Airlines Urged to give families compensation

The Malaysian news portal therakyatpost.com reported on 30 January that the National Union of Flight Attendants Malaysia (NUFAM) is urging Malaysia Airlines and all insurance companies to start paying families of the Flight MH370 crew compensation without stating any “additional” terms or conditions to these payments. NUFAM said families have been bogged with endless problems over the last 10 months over compensation matters which had been very difficult due to the terms and conditions. Malaysia’s Department of Civil Aviation announced on 29 January that the Malaysian government had classified the MH370 incident as an accident with no survivors, although the search will continue. http://bit.ly/1CG8y2z

UK police complain missing persons cases drain resources

PoliceOracle.com, a UK website that specialises in policing issues, reported earlier this week that the chief executive of the UK’s College of Policing has become the latest senior officer to call on hospitals and care homes to improve their own security arrangements in order to reduce the number of vulnerable people going missing. Alex Marshall said so-called Misper inquiries amounted to a major drain on police time and resources, with cases involving individuals graded “medium risk” consuming on average 18 hours each. http://bit.ly/1BCxkiS 

Items in Daily World News Digest are summaries of published reports relevant to the issue of missing persons, compiled by ICMP staff.  These items do not necessarily reflect the position of ICMP.