Daily World News Digest, 3 October 2018

Indonesia struggles to account for earthquake, tsunami victims

Indonesian officials said Tuesday that at least 1,234 people had died, including 120 foreigners in the aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami that hit the island of Sulawesi, the New York Times reports. Authorities are burying the dead in mass graves, taking fingerprints and photographs to help in subsequent identifications. http://bit.ly/2NioOA4

Mediterranean migration shifts to Spain, Western Balkans

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) reports that a total of 87,776 migrants and refugees arrived in Europe between January and August 2018. An estimated 79 percent crossed the Mediterranean (69,614), mainly using the Western Mediterranean route which leads to Spain where 33,912 new arrivals were registered between January and August 2018. https://bit.ly/2IxEIpg

More than 30 refugees drown off Morocco coast

At least 34 refugees (out of 60) have drowned in a shipwreck along the western Mediterranean, Aljazeera reports. A Moroccan official said that 11 bodies had been recovered so far, adding that none of the deceased were Moroccan nationals. https://bit.ly/2Ni1l1N

Barham Salih elected President of Iraq

Iraqi lawmakers have elected Barham Salih, a veteran Kurdish politician, as the new president of Iraq, Business Standard reports. Salih told the lawmakers he will be the president of Iraq, and not for a certain group, entity or component. “I will work according to the democratic system,” he said, recalling “the martyrs of Iraq, victims of mass graves, Halabja and all the martyrs.” http://bit.ly/2O2tfUA

Iraq: Yezidis wait to excavate mass graves

Four years after Da’esh rampaged through Sinjar, exhumations of deceased Yezidi victims has not yet been undertaken, Middle East Eye reports. Lena Larsson, head of the Iraq program at the International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP) says part of the problem is that Iraq lacks a centralized system to address missing persons as multiple government agencies working on this issue are often duplicating each other’s work. http://bit.ly/2QpO0GB

US: search for mass graves from 1921 massacre

The Mayor of Tulsa in Oklahoma has said that the city will reinvestigate whether there are mass graves from a century-old race massacre that left hundreds of African Americans dead, the Washington Post reports. He said the city plans to use new technology to examine two cemeteries and a former dump — all places that state investigators and archaeologists first identified as possible mass grave sites in 1998. https://wapo.st/2yjvj07

Items in the Daily World News Digest are summaries of published reports relevant to the issue of missing persons, compiled by ICMP staff. These items do not necessarily reflect the position of ICMP.