Daily World News Digest, 27 March 2017

Egypt convicts 56 over migrant boat sinking that killed 200

The BBC reported yesterday that an Egyptian court has sentenced 56 people to prison over the capsizing of a migrant boat that killed more than 200 people in September. They were given sentences of up to 14 years; charges included murder, manslaughter and negligence. The boat was bound for Italy when it sank eight miles off the Egyptian port city of Rosetta. Some 450 migrants were estimated to have been crowded aboard, including around 100 trapped in its hold. A total of 57 people were charged, but one woman was acquitted. The lesser charges included not using sufficient rescue equipment, endangering lives, receiving money from the victims, hiding suspects from authorities, and using a vessel without a license. http://bbc.in/2mGZ8Va

Greece says unable to accept refugees under Dublin Regulation

RussiaToday carried an article yesterday citing the Greek Minister of Immigration Policy Ioannis Mouzalas, who said that Greece will stop taking back refugees under the controversial Dublin Regulation, as the country’s limited capacities to host people are already on the brink of collapse. As the European Commission pressures Athens to re-implement the Dublin Regulation – stipulating that refugees can be returned to the first EU state they arrived in – the Greek migration minister told Spiegel that his country is not in a position to do so. http://bit.ly/2nWcRHm

Police officers decapitated in DR Congo ambush

Reuters reported yesterday that militia fighters decapitated about 40 police officers after an ambush in central Democratic Republic of Congo, the deadliest attack on security forces since an insurgency erupted in the region last year. In recent violence, more than 400 people have been killed, and many of the dead have been dumped in mass graves. The UN said last week that it had identified 10 alleged mass grave sites and was investigating seven others. http://reut.rs/2ohnwJB

UN to send fact-finding mission to Myanmar

Anadolu Agency reported on Friday that the UN Human Rights Council has decided to send “urgently” an independent international fact-finding mission to Myanmar to investigate alleged human rights violations in the country, against Rohingya Muslims in particular. The mission will establish the facts and circumstances of the alleged violations by military and security forces in Myanmar, in particular in Rakhine State, including but not limited to arbitrary detention, torture and inhuman treatment, rape and other forms of sexual violence, extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary killings, enforced disappearance, forced displacement and unlawful destruction of property, with a view to ensuring full accountability for perpetrators. http://bit.ly/2omF4nk

Items in Daily World News Digest are summaries of published reports relevant to the issue of missing persons, compiled by ICMP staff. These items do not necessarily reflect the position of ICMP.