Daily World News Digest, 26 April 2016

Women and child trafficking increased after earthquake in Nepal

The Himalayan Times, a daily from Nepal, carried a story today saying that the National Human Rights Commission issued a national report saying the massive earthquake of 25 April, 2015 had greatly increased the vulnerability to trafficking especially of women and children. Evidences confirm there is nexus of foreign labor migration and trafficking in persons. The NHRC report said 8,000 to 8,500 persons were trafficked in each of the fiscal years of 2013/14 and 2014/15. Records of Nepal Police indicate that a total of 1,233 women and children were reported to be missing during three months after the earthquake. http://bit.ly/1VUo8CO

ICC opens preliminary probe into Burundi violence

Voice of America reported on 25 April that the International Criminal Court says it is opening a preliminary probe into the violence that erupted last year in Burundi. International Criminal Court prosecutor Fatou Bensouda says the probe is not an investigation and offered no timeline of how long it will last. “My office has reviewed communications and reports about killings, imprisonment, torture, rape and other forms of sexual violence as well as cases of enforced disappearances,” Bensouda said. The UN last week accused Burundi’s security services of torturing and illegally detaining several hundred people this year. http://bit.ly/23UZzuk

Indonesia government now says it’s ready to apologize for events of 1965, if mass graves of victims can be identified

Coconuts Jakarta reported on 25 April that last week, the first public discussion of the mass killings 1965-1966, gave many hope that it could be a first step towards the Indonesian government apologizing for its role in the killing of an estimated 500,000 – 1,000,000 people. Coordinating Minister for Politics, Law, and Security Affairs Luhut Binsar Panjaitan said that the possibility for the country to apologize was always there, as long as more of the facts about what happened in 1965 were revealed – facts such as data proving the existence of mass graves of victims throughout Indonesia. “To this day there is no data regarding the mass graves. To whom will the government apologize,” said Luhut. http://bit.ly/1VzduBm

Medical charity MSF restarts Mediterranean migrant rescues

Reuters reported on 25 April that the medical relief charity Medecins sans Frontieres has relaunched rescue operations in the Mediterranean Sea, accusing European governments of failing to act to save migrants in peril at sea. MSF halted its maritime rescue program in January, saying it hoped European Union member states would take up the task of search and rescue of migrants and refugees attempting the crossing from North Africa to Europe. But with rising numbers of people trying to navigate the “deadly stretch of water” between Libya and Italy as the weather warms, migrants were in danger of drowning, MSF said. http://reut.rs/26o22fw

Thailand: 2 missing persons cases tied to Udon Thani bones

The Bangkok Post reported on 25 April that Police are dusting off two missing persons cases that might be connected to the discovery of burnt human bones in Ban Phue district. The first reinvestigation involves Kularb Inthasri, 48, who was taken from a police housing residence at Ban Thuem police station on 8 January, 2010. Until Sunday, 23 sets of burnt bones have been found in Tambon Nong Waeng district. Police have matched 23 cases to the piles of remains and split into three teams to shed light on the mystery quickly. http://bit.ly/1Qy48hi

Items in Daily World News Digest are summaries of published reports relevant to the issue of missing persons, compiled by ICMP staff.  These items do not necessarily reflect the position of ICMP.