Daily World News Digest, 25 March 2015

 

Boko Haram crisis: “About 500” Nigerian children missing

The BBC reported on 24 March that about 500 children aged 11 and under are missing from a Nigerian town recaptured from militants, according to a former resident of Damasak. A trader in the north-eastern town told Reuters news agency that Boko Haram fighters took the children with them when they fled. Troops from Niger and Chad seized Damasak earlier in March, ending months of control by the Islamist militants. A regional force has recently been helping Nigeria take on the insurgents. Boko Haram caused international outrage in April 2014 after it abducted more than 200 girls from a boarding school in Chibok town in north-eastern Nigeria’s Borno state. The group’s leader Abubakar Shekau has said the girls have been married off. http://bbc.in/19j8Scq

Eight missing persons declared hardcore militants

The News portal from Pakistan reports today that eight persons who had been reported as missing, have been located in government internment centers, where they had been moved after having been declared hardcore militants. Judges at Peshawar High Court ruled on the eight cases on 24 March, ordering the authorities to allow relatives to visit the detainees, and inviting relatives to file suit if they are refused visitation rights or if proper medical facilities are not given to the detainees. On the instructions of the High Court, the authorities at internment centers in northern Pakistan have started submitting reports on persons who have been reported by families as missing. http://bit.ly/1NeThIo

Islamic State releases Bangladeshi hostages in Libya oilfield attack

Reuters reports today that two Bangladeshi citizens, among a group of foreign workers taken hostage by Islamic State in an attack on a Libyan oilfield, were released on Tuesday evening after more than two weeks, according to a foreign ministry statement on Wednesday. Foreigners have increasingly become targets in Libya’s turmoil, where two rival governments are battling for control and Islamist extremists have grown in the chaos that followed Muammar Gaddafi’s ouster four years ago. Up to 10 foreign workers were missing after the attack on the Al-Ghani oilfield south of the city of Sirte, Czech and Libyan officials have said. Libyan militants claiming loyalty to Islamic State in Iraq and Syria have been blamed for high-profile attacks this year involving foreigners, including an assault on a Tripoli hotel and the beheading of a group of Egyptian Christians. http://bit.ly/1NeWdoa

More missing youngsters in Winnipeg

The Winnipeg Sun reported on 24 March that new information released by an opposition party shows that the majority of the more than 6,500 people reported missing in Winnipeg last year were young people in the care of Child and Family Services. And the number has climbed over the past five years. “The fact that these children are reported missing means they are not receiving the care they desperately need and deserve,” opposition politician Brian Pallister said at a press conference on 24 March. In total, according to the Canadian Police Information Centre’s statistical report, 6,458 children and young people were reported missing across the province in 2014. The opposition also noted in the last five years, the total number of reported missing children and young people has increased by 22 percent in the province, while the average in Canada has decreased by 20 percent. http://bit.ly/1y57m43

Items in Daily World News Digest are summaries of published reports relevant to the issue of missing persons, compiled by ICMP staff.  These items do not necessarily reflect the position of ICMP.