Daily World News Digest, 25 February 2015

A Camp to Find Missing People and Identify Bodies

The Times of India reports today that ten police units in the Pune area were scheduled to take part in a course on Wednesday and Thursday designed to develop capacity for locating and identifying missing persons. Police Superintendent Manoj Lohiya said the aim was to identify murder victims by learning how to connect information from different sources, for example when a missing person is reported in one district and a murder victim is found in another. Pune police failed to detect 3,344 missing persons in 2014 and 230 in 2015. http://bit.ly/1wnicav

Row in South Africa over Bodies of Nigeria Church Victims

NewVision News reported on 24 February that a row has erupted in South Africa over the identity of one of the bodies of dozens of South Africans who were killed in the collapse of a Nigerian church building last year. One family suspects it was given the wrong body and has commissioned private DNA tests, warning that it will seek an exhumation if its suspicions are correct. Phumzile Mkhulisi, 47, died when a guesthouse attached to the tele-evangelist TB Joshua church collapsed on 12 September last year, killing 116 people, 81 of them South Africans. http://bit.ly/1FWO60n

Christians abducted by IS in Syria

TRIBLIVE News in Pennsylvania reported on 24 February that the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria has captured at least 70 Assyrian Christians, including many women and children, in one of the largest abductions of religious minorities by IS, watchdog groups said Tuesday.  The Associated Press was told that between 70 and 100 Assyrians were taken captive during raids on Syrian villages and that about 3,000 people fled and have sought refuge in the cities of Hassakeh and Qamishli, Hassakeh province. http://bit.ly/1D9XzLB

Serbian authorities react to war crimes alegations

PortalNovosti reported on 22 February that Serbian President Tomislav Nikolic is openly threatening the Office of the War Crimes Chamber, which is seeking an investigation into the possible responsibility of General Ljubisa Dikovic for war crimes committed in Kosovo. After the Humanitarian Law Center (HLC) released its “Dossier Rudnica” on crimes committed against Albanians in 1999, rather than examine the possible responsibility General Dikovic, at that time commander of the 37th Motorized Brigade of the Yugoslav Army, the authorities expressed their confidence in his innocence and put pressure on HLC founder declared Natasa Kandic and the head of the Office of the War Crimes Chamber, Vladimir Vukcevic, the website said. http://bit.ly/17WxLKg

Items in Daily World News Digest are summaries of published reports relevant to the issue of missing persons, compiled by ICMP staff.  These items do not necessarily reflect the position of ICMP.