Daily World News Digest, 22 June 2017

Zimbabwe commits to implement recommendations of UN Human Rights Council

All Africa carried comments on Wednesday by Zimbabwe Secretary for Justice, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs Virginia Mabiza, saying that the Zimbabwean Government is committed to implementing 151 of 260 recommendations made by the UN Human Rights Council during the second cycle of the Universal Periodic Review in November 2016. The recommendations include guaranteeing freedom to demonstrate, and prohibition of torture and enforced disappearances. http://bit.ly/2sYjTOG

Enforced disappearances in Yemen

Human Rights Watch reports today that the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is supporting Yemeni forces that have arbitrarily detained, forcibly disappeared, tortured, and abused dozens of people during security operations. HRW has documented the cases of 49 people, including four children, who have been arbitrarily detained or forcibly disappeared in the Aden and Hadramawt governates of Yemen over the last year; at least 38 appear to have been arrested or detained by UAE-backed security forces. The UAE runs at least two informal detention facilities, and its officials appear to have ordered the continued detention of people despite release orders, and forcibly disappeared people, HRW says. http://bit.ly/2tPcTQD

Number of missing people in Mexico rises for government omission, expert claims

Prensa Latina, from Cuba, reported on Wednesday on a statement made by Ariel Dulitzky, former Rapporteur of the UN Working Group on Enforced Disappearances, saying that the increase in the number of missing people in Mexico – from 3,000 in 2011 to 30,000 today – reflects inadequate reporting by the State. Dulitzky said Mexico lacks integrated policies to search for victims and identify human remains. http://bit.ly/2sTop0n

Experts elected to UN Committee on Enforced Disappearances

Middle East Monitor reported on Wednesday that experts from Tunisia, Japan, Argentina, Serbia and Morocco have been elected to the UN Committee on Enforced Disappearances for a period of four years. The elections were held in New York within the framework of the fourth meeting of State Parties to the International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance. http://bit.ly/2sWEIKD

Ukraine: number of casualties increases as conflict enters fourth year

On Wednesday, Voice of America reported an increase in the number of casualties in Ukraine. According to a new report by the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, between mid-February and mid-May of this year UN investigators documented 193 conflict-related civilian casualties, including 36 deaths which is a 48 percent increase over the last reporting period. The report underlines that so far this year, there were 375 conflict-related civilian casualties, including 67 deaths and 308 injuries – a 74 percent increase compared to the same period last year. High Commissioner Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein claims that both sides of this war were to blame for human rights violations noting that his staff has documented cases of unlawful and arbitrary detention on both sides of the contact line.  http://bit.ly/2tOBS6G

First Civil War mass grave exhumed in Catalonia

The Catalan News Agency reported on Wednesday that remains of 17 bodies have been exhumed in the northwestern town of Figuerola d’Orcau as part of the Catalan government’s 2017-2018 mass grave plan.  The remains will now be genetically analyzed in order to be identified in the future. The Catalan government launched a genetic identification program last year, in which relatives of people who went missing in the Civil War can register their genetic profile. This data will be cross-referenced with the genetic information gathered in the exhumations, such as the one started today and those to be carried out in the coming months. The Catalan authorities have worked in the localization and documentation of 129 new mass graves. http://bit.ly/2ttvxyt

Mass grave of Russian soldiers unearthed at scene of battle 150 years ago in Poland

The Daily Mail reported on Wednesday that skeletons of dozens of Russian soldiers who were killed during a battle 150 years ago have been discovered in a mass grave in eastern Poland.  The remains were unearthed by archaeologists on the site of the Battle of Zyrzyn, off the S17 Lublin-Warsaw expressway in Zerdz, eastern Poland. Archaeologists believe that about eighty soldiers, presumed to be Russian, were buried in the mass grave. http://dailym.ai/2rY0HvC

Items in Daily World News Digest are summaries of published reports relevant to the issue of missing persons, compiled by ICMP staff. These items do not necessarily reflect the position of ICMP.