Daily World News Digest, 21 June 2017

”More than 3,000” killed in violence in central Congo

NPR reported on Tuesday that more than 3,000 people have been killed in a remote region in the Democratic Republic of Congo, according to Congo’s Catholic Church. UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein said 42 mass grave sites have been found in the region, and there may be more. Hussein is calling for an independent international investigation as the situation in Kasai region has grown “much more complex and more deadly”. http://n.pr/2sQFwkd

Rohingya seek new escape routes from Bangladesh

Qantara.de, a German website that seeks to promote dialogue with the Islamic world, reports today that hundreds of thousands of Rohingya who have fled violence and persecution in neighboring Myanmar are turning to complex smuggling operations to escape Bangladesh as Dhaka denies new arrivals refugee status. For years the main mode of escape for refugees who would pay hefty amounts to smugglers to get them to Malaysia and Thailand were traffickers’ boats. Those routes were cut off in 2015 when mass graves of would-be migrants, many of them killed at sea, were discovered in Thailand. As it becomes more difficult for migrants to leave Bangladesh, many have been forced to head to destinations once considered less appealing. Those who cannot afford flights are traveling by bus and on foot to India before moving on to Nepal or Pakistan. http://bit.ly/2tsizRm

More than 120 people drown in latest Mediterranean disaster

The Independent reported on Tuesday that more 120 migrants and refugees, most of them of Sudanese and Nigerian nationality, are feared to have drowned in the Mediterranean after a boat sank off the Libyan cost on Friday, according to the International Organization for Migration. The death toll in the Mediterranean passed 1,000 in April — a figure not reached until the end of May last year – and the latest count by the IOM shows at least 1,850 have lost their lives on the dangerous crossing. Nearly 70,000 migrants and refugees have been rescued in the Mediterranean so far this year and taken to Italy – a 23 percent increase compared to the same period last year. http://ind.pn/2slSiWy

Israel’s missing babies

The BBC carries a story today about the hundreds of babies who went missing in the years after the creation of the Israeli state. Their parents, mostly Jewish immigrants from Yemen, were told their children had died, but suspicions linger that they were secretly given away to childless families. Estimates of the number of missing children range from hundreds to thousands. Three government inquiries have looked into the Yemenite Children Affair since the 1960s, and all have concluded that most children died of diseases and were buried without their parents being informed or involved. But last year the government opened up most of the archives of the public inquiries and put them online, which led to shocking revelations about medical experiments on Yemenite children.  MyHeritage, a company that researches family ancestry, recently began offering help to Yemenite Jews who have a missing child, or who think they were secretly adopted. http://bbc.in/2rBpI0n

Items in Daily World News Digest are summaries of published reports relevant to the issue of missing persons, compiled by ICMP staff. These items do not necessarily reflect the position of ICMP.