Daily World News Digest, 24 August 2015

UN chief arrives in Nigeria to mark bombing, abducted girls

The Daily Mail reported on 23 August that UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon arrived in Nigeria on Sunday to commemorate the Boko Haram bombing of his organization’s headquarters and focus new attention on 219 schoolgirls held by the extremists. Ban will meet with Nigeria’s new president, Muhammadu Buhari, on Monday, amid plans to launch a long-delayed regional offensive against the West African country’s Islamic insurgents. A UN statement said the leaders will discuss ways to counter violent extremism as well as human rights and climate change. Ban is also scheduled to meet the Bring Back Our Girls group, which is demanding government action to free the 219 abducted schoolgirls, who have been held now for nearly 500 days, according to the group. http://dailym.ai/1Jfgnip

Migrants crisis: More than 4,000 people rescued near Libya coast

The BBC reported on 23 August 23 that about 4,400 migrants were rescued from boats off the coast of Libya on Saturday, in one of the biggest single-day operations mounted to date, according to Italy’s coastguard. It said it had received distress calls from more than 20 vessels.The route from Libya to Italy is one of the busiest for those trying to enter Europe. More than 2,000 people have died this year in attempts to reach Europe in overcrowded, unseaworthy boats. Of the 264,500 migrants the UN says have crossed the Mediterranean so far this year, close to 104,000 have landed in Italy. Another 160,000 have arrived in Greece. Two Italian navy ships were involved in Saturday’s rescue effort. Responding to two wooden boats in danger of sinking, the Cigala Fulgosi picked up 507 people and the Vega 432, the navy said. A boat belonging to humanitarian group Doctors without Borders rescued 311 people, including a newborn baby. http://bbc.in/1Lpayjk

Hundreds still missing from Iraq’s 1990 invasion of Kuwait

The Kuwait News Agency reported on 23 August that more than 20 years have passed since Iraq’s occupation of Kuwait while the fate of hundreds of Kuwaitis and other nationals remains unknown. The victims were abducted by Iraqi forces who invaded the country on 2 August 1990. Efforts by Kuwait and the international community have failed to establish their whereabouts. Out of around 600 people only 236 remains have, thus far, been found and identified. http://bit.ly/1KE8wJd

Philippines Typhoon leaves 14 dead

The Manilla Bulletin reported on 23 August 23 that a total of 14 people have been declared dead since the “Ineng” typhoon struck the northern part of Luzon. It was confirmed that 17 people are missing after a landslide occurred at a mining site in Mankaya in Benguet. Search and rescue operations were temporarily halted on Saturday afternoon due to bad weather condition. The continuous rains forced some 32,600 people to flee their homes and seek refuge in safer place. http://bit.ly/1KfbpV9

Kosovo: 17th anniversary of the abduction of two Radio Priština journalists

The InSerbia news portal reported on 21 August that the journalists’ associations of Kosovo and Metohija (KiM) and Serbia on marked the 17th anniversary on Friday of the abduction of two Radio Priština journalists. The commemoration took place near the memorial placed on the site where they were last seen. On 21 August 1998, Đuro Slavuj and Ranko Perenić were on their way to the St. Cosmas and Damian’s Monastery in Zociste to report on the return of monks who had been abducted by a unit of the Kosovo Liberation Army. Nothing has been heard of the two journalists since. http://bit.ly/1TZmOOO

Mexico a ‘no-go zone’ for migrants as massacre remains unresolved

Amnesty International reported on 21 August on what it described as the disgraceful lack of effective investigation into the mass killing of 72 migrants in Mexico five years ago. On 22 August 2010, 58 men and 14 women from Central and South America were killed at a ranch in San Fernando, near Mexico’s border with Texas. Since then, authorities have made a number of arrests but have failed to publish any information as to whether anyone has been charged. “The mass killings in San Fernando paint a gruesome picture of the state of human rights in Mexico, where being a migrant seems to be reason enough for criminals to harass, torture and murder you,” said Carolina Jiménez, Americas Deputy Director for Research at Amnesty International. Investigations into the massacre have been patchy, with local and federal authorities failing to coordinate efforts or inform relatives of any progress. There have been extreme delays in identifying the victims – with some of the remains sent to the wrong families. Between April and May 2011, Mexican authorities discovered 193 more bodies in 47 mass graves in San Fernando in events that are still to be effectively investigated. http://bit.ly/1JbJLUJ

Anniversary of Mass Killings in Bosnia

The Bosnian news portal N1 reported on 21 August on the 23rd anniversary of the mass killings that took place at Korićani Cliffs near Prijedor in 1992. Bosniaks from Prijedor who had been detained in camps were to be exchanged in Travnik but 200 were singled out and executed on Mount Vlašić. Most of the families are still looking for the remains of their family members. The State Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina tried and sentenced 12 persons for the crime at Korićani Cliffs. In the case of Mrđa, Stanišić and others, the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia also condemned the crime. The fate and location of 80 of the victims remains unknown. Mujo Begić, from the Institute for Missing Persons in BiH says this process will last for some time because of the intentional systematic hiding of the victims’ remains. http://bit.ly/1KCesCC

Items in Daily World News Digest are summaries of published reports relevant to the issue of missing persons, compiled by ICMP staff.  These items do not necessarily reflect the position of ICMP.