Daily World News Digest, 13 November 2017

New mass graves found in Iraq

Iraqi security forces have found mass graves in an area recently retaken from Da’esh, Kirkuk governor Rakan Saed said on Sunday. He said the graves could contain up to 400 bodies. The bodies, of civilians and security forces, were found in an abandoned base near Hawija, a northern town retaken in early October. It is not yet known when exhumations will begin. http://bit.ly/2hw0MaJ

UN begins evacuating refugees from Libya to Niger

A group of vulnerable refugees from several African countries, who had been stuck in war-ravaged Libya, have been evacuated to Niger, according to UNHCR. It said the evacuation of 25 “extremely vulnerable refugees” from Libya marked the first of its kind. The country has long been a major transit hub for migrants trying to reach Europe, and many refugees and migrants have fallen prey to serious abuse there at the hands of human traffickers and others. http://bit.ly/2zSajkc

Enforced disappearance in Bangladesh

At least 10 people, including a journalist, a university teacher, a publisher and political leaders, are reported to have gone missing in Bangladesh since 22 August. Ain o Salish Kendra (ASK), a non-government legal aid and human rights organization, says 334 of the 524 people who allegedly became victims of enforced disappearance between 2010 and October 2017 are still missing. “Whenever any citizen goes missing this way, it has to be understood that there is no security at all,” Sultana Kamal, Director of ASK, said on Friday. “People are going missing and the issue is not being resolved.” She called on the government to take responsibility and give priority to finding the missing. http://bit.ly/2yVGpeC

Pakistan: activist urges authorities to release detainees

The convener of the Voice for Missing Persons of Sindh, Punhal Sario, has urged the authorities to release all missing people who are not involved in violence, terrorism or extremism. Addressing his first press conference in Hyderabad on Sunday, 25 days after his release from 75 days of captivity, Sario said he was “working peacefully for human rights and will continue to work in a peaceful way”. http://bit.ly/2zBU8Gw

Accounting for the missing in South Africa

The head of South Africa’s Missing Persons Task Team has spoken about the key elements in her organization’s approach to accounting for the missing from the country’s anti-apartheid struggle. It is, Madeleine Fullard, says, “much more than recovering a body; it is about finding the remains of a life that mattered and handing them back to their family in a dignified, solemn and moving ceremony.” The Task Team was established by the National Prosecuting Authority in 2005 in response to a recommendation by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission to the government to continue recovering the bodies of those who disappeared between 1960 and 1994. Since its formation, the team has recovered the remains of 141 people. http://bit.ly/2jkyyQV

Items in Daily World News Digest are summaries of published reports relevant to the issue of missing persons, compiled by ICMP staff. These items do not necessarily reflect the position of ICMP.