Daily World News Digest, 11 November 2016

Mosul battle: ‘Iraqi forces’ tortured and killed villagers

BBC News reported yesterday that men dressed in Iraqi federal police uniforms are reported to have tortured and killed residents of villages south of Mosul, Amnesty International says. Evidence gathered by the group suggests that up to six people from the Shura and Qayyarah sub-districts were shot dead after being detained on suspicion of having ties to so-called Islamic State. The federal police forces command has denied the accusations. Pro-government forces launched an offensive to retake Mosul last month. About 50,000 Iraqi security forces personnel, soldiers, police, Kurdish Peshmerga fighters, Sunni Arab tribesmen and Shia militiamen are involved in the three-week operation. http://bbc.in/2fgZPzJ

CID instructed to determine forensic expertise on Mannaar mass graves in unison with victims

Tamil Net, a news portal from Sri Lanka, reported yesterday that a magistrate in the district of Mannar in the north of the country has instructed the Sri Lankan Criminal Investigation Department (CID) to come to a conclusion without further delay on the external institution that should be conducting the scientific investigations on more than 80 human skeletons from the alleged mass graves at Thirukkeatheesvaram in Mannaar exhumed since December 2013. The magistrate has instructed that this decision should be taken together with the lawyers who represent the families of enforced-disappeared in Mannaar. The magistrate, taking up the investigation on Monday this week, has also instructed the parties to document the requirements of the external institution on the forensic analysis, legal sources in Mannaar said. http://bit.ly/2fGXtdW

Pakistan commission on missing persons asks families to accept compensation, withdraw complaints

The News International, a news angency from Pakistan, reports today that, criticizing the Supreme Court’s commission on missing persons, Sindh Assembly Opposition Leader Khawaja Izharul Hasan on Thursday said that families were being asked to accept Rs200,000 as compensation and withdraw their complaints. Hasan called for justice for human rights excesses committed during security operations in Karachi. He said the commission took up cases of only 21 people out of a total of 131 and asked families of the missing to accept money. “This is a gross human rights violation, and also a breach of the country’s constitution.” http://bit.ly/2fH0eMz

Over 1,300 missing persons cases pending in Pakistan

The Nation newspaper from Pakistan carries an article today on the commission on missing persons headed by Justice Javed Iqbal, which still has more than 1,300 cases pending from various parts of Pakistan of which nearly half are from Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (KP). The commission recently got an extension in tenure till September 2017. It has disposed of over 2,000 cases out of a total of 3,611 missing persons, received by 30 September 2017. The commission has disposed of missing persons cases received from the Supreme Court, the High Court, the UN Working Group on Enforced Disappearances and NGOs. http://bit.ly/2fGWp9T

SHC orders recovery of missing persons

The Daily Times, a newspaper from Pakistan, carries an article today about the Sindh High Court directing law enforcement agencies, on Thursday, to make all-out efforts for the recovery of missing persons. A division bench headed by Justice Naimatullah Phulpoto issued notices to the Sindh home secretary and the heads of security agencies to seek the whereabouts of missing persons, and instructed officials to deliver documentation by 15 December. The court has considered more than 50 petitions seeking recovery of the missing persons. http://bit.ly/2fHgdqa

Items in Daily World News Digest are summaries of published reports relevant to the issue of missing persons, compiled by ICMP staff.  These items do not necessarily reflect the position of ICMP.