Daily Digest, 14 June 2019

Wang Kelian: Syndicate could have been operating years before bodies’ discovery

A human trafficking syndicate in northern Malaysia could have been operating for several years before it was discovered by police in January 2015, The New Straits Times reports. A forensic expert testifying before the Royal Commission of Inquiry into the discovery of mass graves in Wang Kelian said that some bodies could have been buried three or four years before the discovery based on post-mortem examinations conducted on bodies exhumed from the graves. He added that bodies exhumed from the mass graves were received in stages between 25 May 25 and 8 June 2015, with 114 bodies received in total with the victims estimated to be 10 to 40 years old. https://bit.ly/2MVoQ5I

Venezuela: Migrants missing after boat reportedly sinks

Thirty-two Venezuelan migrants are reported missing after the boat they were travelling on sank, according to the BBC. The migrants left on a speedboat on Friday en route to the island of Curaçao when the accident happened. This is third Venezuelan migrant boat to capsize in recent weeks. According to the UN some four million people have fled Venezuela since 2015. https://bbc.in/2WDSwny

Nicaragua: 56 protest leaders freed as part of amnesty

The BBC reports that 56 activists have been released from prison after anti-government protests in Nicaragua. The protests were directed against a controversial amnesty law passed by Congress. The law has been criticized for offering amnesty to security forces as well as activists. The security forces have been accused of using disproportionate force and extrajudicial executions. More than 320 people have been killed and 2,000 injured over the past 14 months. https://bbc.in/2KgyA8E

Canada: human remains from 1847 shipwreck discovered

The Independent reports that massive storm on a Canadian beach led to a groundbreaking discovery that solved 170-year mystery. Officials had been trying to determine the identities of human remains found on the beach near Quebec’s Gaspe Peninsula. In report by Washington Post it is said that the bones were reportedly from 1847, when a ship carrying Irish migrants crashed into the cape during a major storm, killing all but 48 of the nearly 200 passengers on board. Bio-archaeologists remained committed to testing each of the remains until another major discovery occurred in 2016. After a lengthy excavation near the site of the shipwreck officials found 18 more human remains. https://yhoo.it/2WJN8UR

 

Items in the Daily World News Digest are summaries of published reports relevant to the issue of missing persons, compiled by ICMP staff. These items do not necessarily reflect the position of ICMP.