Posts Categorized: Daily Digest

Daily World News Digest, 8 July 2015

Truth and justice are antidotes to violence and hatred

On 7 July the Huffington Post published an opinion piece by ICMP Commissioner Her Majesty Queen Noor of Jordan describing the remarkable response of families of the missing in the years since the Srebrenica genocide. Queen Noor wrote that she has spent long periods over the last two decades in the company of the Mothers of Srebrenica, who are “among the bravest and most inspiring people it has ever been my privilege to meet.” She stressed that “they have refused to abandon the pursuit of justice, and they have refused to descend to the level of the men who murdered their fathers and husbands and sons: they have refused to hate.” She stressed that ICMP has responded to the horror of Srebrenica with effective strategies that use state of the art technology and foster the rule of law. “Each of the…

Daily World News Digest, 7 July 2015

War crime convictions urged for Serbian security officials

Balkan Insight reported on 6 July that in an appeal hearing on Monday at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, the prosecution asked for a reversal of the initial verdict on former state security officials Stanisic and Simatovic which found them not guilty of war crimes in Bosnia and Croatia during the 1990s. “The trial chamber verdict contains serious errors, it blocked justice and accountability,” the prosecution said, adding that such a ruling “can harm future international justice decisions”. The Hague Tribunal in 2013 acquitted Stanisic, the former head of the Serbian interior ministry’s security service, and his right-hand man, Franko Simatovic, commander of the ministry’s Special Operations Unit, of taking part in a joint criminal enterprise aimed at forcibly removing Bosniaks and Croatians from large parts of Bosnia and Croatia from 1991 to 1995. http://bit.ly/1H6hT35

100,000 Bones exhibit to…

Daily World News Digest, 6 July 2015

Srebrenica dead to be remembered

The Daily Mail reports today that thousands of men and boys killed in the Srebrenica genocide 20 years ago will be remembered at a service at Westminster Abbey today. More than 8,370 Bosnian Muslims were systematically murdered in the days after General Ratko Mladic and Bosnian Serb troops captured the town on 11 July 1995, during the Balkans conflict. The United Nations described it as “the worst crime on European soil since the Second World War”. Prime Minister David Cameron has led tributes and the Princess Royal will travel to Bosnia and Herzegovina on Saturday for Srebrenica Memorial Day. Mr Cameron said: “We must never, ever forget what happened at Srebrenica. The 20th anniversary is a moment to remember the many thousands who lost their lives and to remember their families and the missing.” http://dailym.ai/1giQkgD

Serbs ask Russia to veto UN resolution on Srebrenica

The Moscow…

New Global Missing Persons Trends

Imigrant Crossing US Mexico Border

ICMP’s Daily World News Digest brings together news stories dealing with enforced disappearances and missing persons cases from around the world. It offers a snapshot of daily events and over a longer period it highlights key trends.

Mediterranean Migration

The Mediterranean migration crisis continued to dominate headlines in June. A new structural aspect emerged amid reports of African migrants dying on the dangerous route across the Sahara, even before they reach the Mediterranean.

Euronews reported on 31 May  that thousands of migrants rescued from the Mediterranean were continuing to arrive in Italian ports, most, reportedly, from Eritrea, where alleged human rights abuses have sparked a refugee exodus. European authorities said that more than 5,000 migrants had been saved from boats in distress since 29 May, and operations were underway to rescue hundreds more. The Greek Reporter news portal reported on 31 May that the Greek coast guard rescued 237 migrants…

Daily World News Digest, 3 July 2015

Congo-Brazzaville: Mass deportations

Amnesty International issued a statement on 2 July arguing that police violence, persecution, arbitrary detentions and rape amid a security operation to deport tens of thousands of DR Congo nationals from Congo-Brazzaville last year were part of widespread attacks that could amount to crimes against humanity. “Operation Mbata ya Bakolo: mass expulsions of foreign nationals in the Republic of Congo” documents a range of human rights violations and crimes under international law committed by Congolese security forces and others from April to September last year. During this period, at least 179,000 DRC nationals, including many refugees and asylum seekers, were rounded up, arbitrarily arrested, and forced to leave Republic of Congo (Congo-Brazzaville), Amnesty said. http://bit.ly/1HxNRJj

Call for action on missing persons in Kashmir

Pakistan Observer reports today that human rights group, “Voice of Victims” has asked India to disclose the whereabouts of disappeared persons, implement the recommendations…

Daily World News Digest, 2 July 2015

Recalling “responsibility to protect” UN pays tribute to victims of Srebrenica genocide

UN News Centre reported on 1 June that during a high-level commemorative event in New York, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon paid tribute to the victims of the Srebrenica genocide, perpetrated 20 years ago, and which, he said, “will forever weigh on the collective conscience of the international community.” “We are here to remember the thousands who lost their lives in the genocide…We are here to tell the families and friends of the victims that we share their sorrow,” Mr. Ban said at the special event commemorating the 8,000 men and boys who were killed by Bosnian Serb forces who overran Srebrenica in July 1995 – the largest such massacre on European soil since the founding of the United Nations. http://bit.ly/1Hx9Hwt 

Britain, Russia at odds over U.N. Srebrenica genocide commemoration

Euronews carried a story today saying that a draft…

Daily World News Digest, 1 July 2015

IOM hails efforts to raise migrant death ship off Libya’s coast

The International Organization for Migration reported on 30 June that migrant arrivals in Italy have topped 20,000 for each of the last two months. Approximately 2,900 migrants were rescued at sea in the channel of Sicily in the last 48 hours. These new arrivals, according to IOM estimates, brings to about 66,500 the total number of migrants that arrived in Italy in the first six months of the year – a slight increase from 63,884 rescued at this time last year. The rescue operations are ongoing. Among the rescued migrants, brought to the ports of Lampedusa, Catania, Pozzallo (Sicily), and Reggio Calabria on the Italian mainland, most numerous were Eritreans, Nigerians, Gambians, Malians, Senegalese and other sub-Saharan nationals. Separately, the Italian Navy announced yesterday it had begun efforts to recover the bodies of an estimated 750 or more migrants…

Daily World News Digest, 30 June 2015

Amnesty says Egypt in “repression”

Sky News reported on 30 June that two years after the army ousted president Mohamed Morsi, Egypt has regressed into “all-out repression”, with activists jailed in a bid to crush dissent, according to Amnesty International. The London-based rights watchdog said that Egyptian authorities led by President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi are engaged in a blatant attempt to “nip in the bid any future threat to their rule”. “Mass protests have been replaced by mass arrests,” Amnesty said in a statement on Tuesday, ahead of the second anniversary on Friday of the 3 July 2013 ouster of the Islamist Morsi, Egypt’s first freely elected leader. “Today… youth activists are languishing behind bars, providing every indication that Egypt has regressed into a state of all-out repression,” the statement quoted Amnesty’s Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui as saying. It said a government crackdown has resulted in more than 41,000 people arrested,…

Daily World News Digest, 29 June 2015

Mothers of Srebrenica – the fight for truth and justice

Transconflict reported a story on 26 June saying that after 20 years, the Mothers of Srebrenica are continuing their fight for truth and justice. Chloé Gaillard and Marion Pineau met with Zumra Sehomerović, who shared her inspiring story and discussed the challenges that the survivors of the genocide in Srebrenica face. In July 2015, Bosnia-Herzegovina will commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Srebrenica genocide. The Balkan Diskurs team had the unique chance to talk to Zumra Sehomerović, member of the Mothers of Srebrenica association. She agreed to share with us her sad but inspiring life story: of her 20-year battle for truth, justice, and the ending of impunity for the perpetrators of genocide. “The toughest times are behind me, but it still hurts and it always will. I don’t have the words to express my pain,” says Zumra, who lost…

Daily World News Digest, 26 June 2015

Odalovic: 1,654 Missing Persons Are Being Sought In Kosovo

InSerbia News reported on 25 June that A total of 1,654 missing persons – including 535 Serbs and other non-Albanians – are currently being sought in the territory of Kosovo-Metohija, the head of the Serbian government commission on missing persons, Veljko Odalovic, said on Thursday. “That is an enormous number, regardless of the fact that we have solved more than 1,700 cases so far,” Odalovic said on the 16th anniversary of the kidnapping and killing of over 50 Serb civilians in Metohija’s Istok municipality in June 1999. Speaking at an event commemorating the crime, Odalovic said that all locations in central Serbia have been examined during the search for ethnic Albanian victims. That is not the case in Kosovo-Metohija, because there is no equal readiness on the other (ethnic Albanian) side to search for Serb victims, Odalovic said. Natasa Scepanovic, the…