Monthly Archives: August 2015

Daily World News Digest, 19 August 2015

European Union border agency: number of migrants entering EU hits new monthly record in July

AP reported on 18th August that the European Union’s border agency Frontex says the number of migrants entering the EU hit another record in July, with mostly Syrians and Afghans entering Greece from Turkey. Frontex says 107,500 migrants were detected at EU borders in July — the third consecutive monthly record and the first time monthly entries have surpassed the 100,000 mark. Nearly 340,000 migrants were spotted at EU borders up to July, compared to 280,000 for all of last year.  http://fxn.ws/1Pltos8

Boko Haram crisis

BBC carried a story on 19th August that reports in Nigeria say as many as 60 people may have been killed after a raid on a village in the north-east by suspected Boko Haram militants. Some of the villagers who died are said to have drowned while fleeing gunmen. Eyewitnesses told…

Daily World News Digest, 18 August 2015

Amnesty International says all warring parties in Yemen may be guilty of war crimes

AP reported on 18th August that Amnesty International’s report  accuses both the Saudi-led coalition carrying out airstrikes in Yemen and the forces on the ground, supporting or opposing the Shiite rebels known as Houthis for leaving a “trail of civilian death and destruction” in the conflict, killing scores of innocent people in what could amount to war crimes. “Civilians in southern Yemen have found themselves trapped in a deadly crossfire between Houthi loyalists and anti-Houthi groups on the ground, while facing the persistent threat of coalition airstrikes from the sky. All the parties to this conflict have displayed a ruthless and wanton disregard for the safety of civilians,” said Donatella Rovera, Amnesty’s senior crisis response adviser. http://bit.ly/1TPIRST

IOM monitors migration flows on Haiti-Dominican border

Dominican Today carried a story on 16th August that IOM is continuing to…

Daily World News Digest, 17 August 2015

 

Migrants die off Libyan coast

The IOM carried a story on 16th August from the International Famagusta Gazette, reporting that least 40 migrants died off the Libyan coast in the Mediterranean sea on Saturday in a fishing boat in which they were travelling before they reached the European shore, the Italian navy said. As many as 312 migrants, including three minors and 45 women, were rescued when found on an overcrowded fishing ship some 21 miles off Libya. But dozens were recovered dead in the hold, likely after inhaling the exhaust gas on the boat. http://bit.ly/1Jm3vu1

Europe’s migration wave

Associated Press reported on 14th that a passenger ferry that can hold 2,500 people has reached the Greek holiday island of Kos to provide temporary accommodation and act as a screening center for crowds of Syrian refugees sleeping rough after crossing from Turkey in flimsy boats. At the same time in…

Daily World News Digest, 14 August 2015

The unjust legacy of Egypt’s darkest day

The Newsweek, weekly from the United States, reported on 13 August that list of people arrested and detained incommunicado for prolonged periods, under conditions of enforced disappearances is growing in the two years since Egypt’s former president Mohammed Morsi was ousted from power by the military. More than 22,000 people have been detained since July 2013. At least 124 have died in detention, either after torture and other forms of ill-treatment, or because of the very poor detention conditions and lack of access to medical care in prison. http://bit.ly/1EqVlcq

No honors for North Korea’s leader

Human Rights Watch reported on 13 August that the international community has condemned North Korean leader Kim Jong-un for presiding over one of the most brutal and repressive governments in the world. In February 2014, a United Nations Commission of Inquiry (COI) on Human Rights in North Korea reported…

Daily World News Digest, 13 August 2015

Egypt: two new enforced disappearances in June and July 2015

AllAfrica issued a press release on 12 August saying that the practice of enforced disappearances and torture in secret detention in Egypt can amount to crimes against humanity when they are perpetrated on a widespread and systematic scale according to the Rome Statute. According to Alkarama’s figures, at least 1,189 individuals have been abducted by governmental forces since the beginning of 2015, confirming a worrying escalation of this practice in the country and substantiating the fact that the Egyptian authorities are currently perpetrating international crimes. http://bit.ly/1Jehx0H

The disappeared: Sri Lanka’s missing persons

Channel News Asia reports today that enforced disappearances are a serious issue in Sri Lanka. The island nation had the second largest number of non-clarified cases of disappearances in the world after Iraq, based on the UN Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances report in 1999. “Although a considerable…

Daily World News Digest, 12 August 2015

US State Department report: Children forced to join Maoist ranks in Chhattisgarh to act as couriers

The Times of India reported on 11 August that the US State Department report states that children as young as six are forcibly ejected from their families and launched by terrorist groups like Maoists to act as spies and couriers, plant improvised explosive devices and fight against government. This is prevalent in states of Chhattisgarh, Bihar, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, West Bengal and Odisha. While India is a source, destination, and transit country for men, women, and children subjected to forced labor and sex trafficking, 90% of India’s trafficking problem covers Dalits and tribals from excluded groups, the US State department report says. “Children drop out in Class 7 and 8 and are not seen after that. These children are found missing when we go for a survey in villages. Either they are whisked away to…

Daily World News Digest, 11 August 2015

Nigeria: government must invest in finding Chibok girls

The Leadership, newspaper from Nigeria, reports today saying that the “Bring Back Our Girls” group has called on the federal government to invest heavily in the fight against Boko Haram and in the search for the Chibok girls if there is any hope of getting these girls back. Speaking at the group’s sit-out yesterday, one of the members of the group, Seun Daniel, while reacting to the news that the Australian government has spent over $100 million searching for closure on one of its missing flight, noted that a responsible country will spend any amount of resources to find her missing citizens and this is what Nigeria should do for the Chibok girls. http://bit.ly/1Nn3JPf

The mass grave in Texas no one talks about

The Refinery 29, portal from New York, carried a story saying that the amount of migrant bodies recovered from Brooks County in…

Daily World News Digest, 10 August 2015

Mexican army instructed to provide information about enforced disappearances

The Latin American Herald Tribune reports today that Mexico’s transparency body has instructed the Defense Secretariat to gather up and provide statistical information on forced disappearances between 1960 and 2015. More than 25,700 people have disappeared or gone missing in Mexico in recent years, according to official figures, more than half of them during the current administration of President Enrique Peña Nieto, which began in December 2012. Mexico’s government, for its part, acknowledged to the U.N. Committee on Enforced Disappearances in February that it lacks and needs to create an exclusive registry for cases of enforced disappearances. http://bit.ly/1MfkOMm

The Philippines will improve human rights after critical US report

The Free District, an independent online magazine from Thailand, carried a story today saying that The Philippines says a US rights report which criticized Manila’s human rights record will help it to improve. The…

Daily World News Digest, 7 August 2015

Libya: number of missing people exceeds 600

The North Africa Post carried a story on 6 August saying that more than 600 people have gone missing in Libya between February 2014 and April 2015 and the fate and whereabouts of at least 378 remain unknown, though the real numbers are likely to be much higher. The figures were disclosed Wednesday by Amnesty International in its latest report on Libya which imputed the alarming situation to rampant insecurity in the country. The report dubbed “Vanished off the face of the earth” says people are kidnapped for their political beliefs, membership to a tribal or political community, or for ransom. http://bit.ly/1EcQMCo

Peoples’ Democratic Party appeals to UN for extrajudicial executions and enforced disappearances

The Bianet, Turkish press agency, reported on 6 August that Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) demanded an investigation from UN Rapporteur for “illegal, extrajudicial and arbitrary executions” in Turkey. HDP Co-Chairs…

Daily World News Digest, 6 August 2015

Disappeared Gambian journalist slammed with sedition charge

The Global Voices reported on 5 August that a Gambian radio journalist who disappeared on July 17, 2015 was charged with sedition this week by a magistrate court in the capital city of Banjul. Although it is assumed that he is being held by authorities in secret, his whereabouts and condition are unknown. Many have suffered the horrors of the regime in Gambia: physical and psychological violence, imprisonment, confiscation of properties, and travel documents, enforced disappearances, murders and hundreds of people forced into exiles. The Gambia has one of the harshest press and Internet regulations on the continent. http://bit.ly/1HsFWs7

Egypt detains over 60 Muslim Brotherhood supporters

The Press TV, broadcaster from Tehran, carried a story on 5 August saying that Egyptian security forces have detained at least 61 supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood across the country over the past 24 hours. The Egyptian Interior Ministry…