Monthly Archives: July 2015

Daily World News Digest, 28 July 2015

Mexico: Macabre revelation on mass graves underscores Ayotzinapa disappearances failure

Amnesty International reported on 27 July that the latest confirmation that Mexican authorities have unearthed scores of mass graves in recent months during the search for 43 disappeared students underscores the enormity of the crisis of enforced disappearances faced in the country.  Mexico’s Federal Attorney General’s office has admitted that 60 mass graves with the remains of at least 129 people have been found in the southern state of Guerrero since last October. None of the bodies, which included 20 women and 109 men, belonged to the 43 students who went missing in Iguala that month. According to official figures, more than 25,700 people have disappeared or gone missing in Mexico in the past years, and almost half of them during the current administration of President Peña Nieto. http://bit.ly/1U2vgcQ

The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan slams killing of disappearance victim…

Daily World News Digest, 27 July 2015

Prosecutors in western Mexico to launch wide-ranging search for missing

Fox News Latino reported on 26 July that an operation to find the “nearly 2,000 people” reported missing in the western Mexican state of Jalisco has been launched. The operation started on Saturday, with some 100 agents visiting the homes of victims to try to determine their whereabouts and close the cases of people who have been located, the Jalisco Attorney General’s Office said. The operation comes after the AG’s office and the state government denied for more than two years that disappearances were a problem in Jalisco. About 2,900 forced disappearances have been reported in Jalisco since 2006, the federal Government Secretariat’s National Public Safety System said. http://bit.ly/1VIpkY1

Secret detentions rise in Egypt

The Alarabiya, pan-Arab news channel, carried a story on 25 July saying that dozens of people have vanished in Egypt in recent months, only to be found days…

Daily World News Digest, 24 July 2015

Brazil: denial of justice for Rio disappearances shows justice system “unfit for purpose”

Amnesty International issued a statement today saying that the continuing failure to undertake effective investigations into the enforced disappearances of 11 young people in a favela in Rio de Janeiro 25 years ago and the brutal murder of one of the mothers seeking justice clearly shows the shocking state of Brazil’s criminal justice system. On 26 July 1990, eight children and three young people from the favela of Acari in Rio de Janeiro were abducted by a group of men who identified themselves as police officers. The 11 were never seen again. “The fact that a quarter of a century after 11 people were forcibly disappeared and still no one knows what happened speaks volumes about the state of human rights in Brazil,” said Atila Roque, Director at Amnesty International Brazil. http://bit.ly/1RWPbfC

Memorial service for Serb farmers…

Daily World News Digest, 23 July 2015

Kosovo’s Thaci fails to rally MPs behind war court

Balkan Insight carried a story on 22 July saying that Democratic Party of Kosovo leader Hashim Thaci failed to convince MPs from his party who voted against establishing a new special court to try former KLA guerrillas to change their minds. Thaci stressed “the need to complete the procedure for the special court as soon as possible” and suggested that parliament should not take its annual August break before this is done. Tuesday’s meeting was not attended by several PDK MPs who voted against the court in parliament last month, when lawmakers failed to approve constitutional changes that would allow it to be set up. There has been strong pressure from the EU and the US to set up the court, which is expected to try former KLA members for killings, abductions, illegal detentions and the persecution of Serbs, Roma and…

Daily World News Digest, 22 July 2015

Britain increases pressure for Kosovo War Court

Balkan Insight reported on 21 July that there is the mounting international pressure on Pristina to set up the new special court despite its unpopularity among the Kosovo public and resistance from MPs. “When Kosovo keeps its word and sets up the court it shows the whole world that Kosovo is ready to move on and be accepted as a part of the world internationally,” Baroness Anelay, Britain’s state minister for foreign affairs told a joint press conference with Kosovo’s President Atifete Jahjaga. The establishment of the special court was delayed again last month when Kosovo’s parliament failed to approve necessary constitutional changes. http://bit.ly/1LrIr5x

Arrested general would be 50th Serb extradited to Croatia

b92, Serbian news portal, carried a story on 21 July saying that there is no criminal case in Serbia against retired General Borislav Djukic and for that reason Serbia cannot seek…

Daily World News Digest, 21 July 2015

Bosnia: 30 victims from Bosnian War buried in Prijedor

Anadolu Agency reported on 20 July that the remains of 30 Bosniaks killed by Serb forces in the Prijedor area of northwestern Bosnia in 1992 were buried on Monday after their bodies were located in different mass graves, and identified. A total of 5,209 Bosniaks and Croats including 4,093 civilians were killed during the 1992 Prijedor massacre, according to the country’s Missing Persons Institute. Around 2000 victims have been located and identified so far in the nearly 100 mass graves in Prijedor and surrounding areas. Monday’s ceremony comes only nine days after another burial ceremony held for 136 recently discovered victims of the Srebrenica genocide. http://bit.ly/1Vm5npP

Memorial services for Serbs, Roma

InSerbia News, a portal from Serbia, carried a story on 20 July saying that memorial services for the Serb and Roma civilians who were kidnapped and murdered by ethnic Albanian terrorists…

Daily World News Digest, 20 July 2015

Croatia to ask Australia to extradite Japranin

Balkan Insight carried a story on 17 July saying that Croatian Justice Ministry spokesman Sergej Ambramov confirmed that the ministry is planning to seek the extradition of Predrag Japranin from Australia. Japranin, 42 allegedly a former member of the rebel Croatian Serb army, is accused of committing war crimes against civilians in the town of Petrinja in central Croatia in November 1991 during the Croatian war of independence. Abramov confirmed that the authorities will seek the extradition of Japranin, who holds Australian citizenship, after the ministry receives all the documentation from Zagreb county court, which has opened the case. http://bit.ly/1KeUCzr

It’s all about denial

The Gulf Today, daily from the United Arab Emirates, reported on 19 July saying that biased historical narratives regarding Srebrenica have existed throughout history. The identification of the dead demonstrates the ability of technological advances to produce a flood of…

Daily World News Digest, 16 July 2015

Croatia court refuses to release “Captain Dragan”

Balkan Insight reported on 15 July that Split County Court on Wednesday denied an appeal to release the former Serb paramilitary commander from the 1990s, Dragan Vasiljkovic, alias Captain Dragan, from custody. Vasiljkovic arrived in Croatia last Thursday and was placed into custody for a month during the investigation. He will remain in prison in Split, southern Croatia, while the Croatian state attorney’s office, DORH, continues investigating the crimes in which he allegedly participated. DORH suspects he committed war crimes against civilians and prisoners of war in Knin and Bruska in the Dalmatian inland in 1991 1992 and in Glina, central Croatia. http://bit.ly/1RA3hTO

Daily life in Srebrenica goes on show in Serbia

Balkan Insight carried a story on 15 July saying that a new exhibition in Belgrade, “Srebrenica Today”, takes a new look at life in the notorious eastern Bosnian town, two decades after…

Daily World News Digest, 15 July 2015

Hungary starts building fence on Serbian border

Balkan Insight reported on 14 July that the Hungarian Army has started to prepare the terrain near Morahalom, a small southern border town of about 6,000 people, for the erection of a four-meter-high fence designed to stop illegal migrants. The authorities are only erecting an “experimental” fence, here however, no more than 150 meters long. Similar short stretches of fences are to be built at ten locations in all, where the Hungarian authorities say they are “most exposed to the pressures of migrants”. Over 70,000 illegal migrants from Afghanistan, Africa and Syria have arrived in Hungary since the beginning of this year, a sharp increase on the figures for 2014 and 2013. The arrivals reach Hungary on a route that leads from Turkey through Serbia and Macedonia. http://bit.ly/1CG5s1k

New cases of enforced disappearances of students in Egypt

Allafrica, a news portal, carried a…

Daily World News Digest, 14 July 2015

Colombian city’s new face and violent underbelly collide

The New York Times reported on 13 July on high levels of violence in Colombia. The added law enforcement presence in Buenaventura and focus on arresting gang members has cut the murder rate significantly, according to Col. Marcelo Russi, who took over as police commander in September. Disappearances were also down. But there are so many unsolved cases, including a backlog of more than 400 disappearances, that investigators have hardly been able to make a dent in them. Prosecutors said that many murders and disappearances occurred when people unwittingly crossed borders between gang territories. Human Rights Watch, an advocacy group based in New York, has published two recent reports denouncing conditions here. http://nyti.ms/1Tyk6fy

Human rights abuses persist in China

Voice of America carried a story on 12 July saying that in China, the government continues to commit human rights abuses. According to the State…